I think the holiday season has a way of bringing out the cook in me. Or maybe it was the crazy low temps today that made me just want to turn on the oven. Whatever the reason, I busted out my fabulous new magazine, 100 Best Cookies, and started on recipe #27. Several cookies later (this girl doesn’t count), cooking was a decision I do not regret.
If you would like to try:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda; set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine butter and the 1/4 cup peanut butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
…Add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, mil, and vanilla until combined.
…Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture.
…Shape dough into 32 balls, each about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and the 1/2 cup peanut butter. Beat until smooth, kneading by had if necessary. Shape mixture into 32 balls.
4. For each cookie, flatten a chocolate doughball; top with a peanut butter ball. Shape dough around peanut butter ball to enclose. Place balls 2 inces apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with te bottom of a glass dipped in the 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
5. Bake in preheated oven about 8 minutes or just until set and surfaces are slightly cracked. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Makes 32 cookies.
To Store: Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Let me know how yours turn out!